Connect with us

Gaming News

Sony is aiming for at least two major PS5 exclusives each year for ‘every major genre’



Sony has confirmed that a Business segment meeting that PlayStation Studios plans to release “two or more major” PS5 titles every year from now on. These games will come from a mix of established franchises and new IP, and will be a mix of single player experiences as well as live service efforts. Sony aims to cover “every major genre”, but specifically highlights shooters, racing games, RPGs, platformers, action titles and sports.

Additionally, the company plans to further expand to other platforms to “broaden the audience”, recent examples being its initiatives on PCs and smartphones. In the presentation, Sony highlights the two platforms alongside music, books, its PlayStation production pipeline, and even theme parks. Recently, Nintendo has been seeing success with its Super Nintendo World Park regions in Japan and the USA, and now a unwanted The rollercoaster is opening at PortAventura World in Spain. For Sony, it’s all about “driving audience growth and diversification” and “leveraging Sony partnerships to unlock new audience growth.”

PlayStation Studios head Hermen Hulst confirmed that Sony has 12 live-service titles as part of the offering, and that in fiscal 2025, the model will make up 60 percent of the PS5 business model. The remaining 40 percent will be made up of Sony’s “traditional” single player experiences. Guerrilla Games, Haven Studios, and Firewalk Studios have been highlighted as developers working on the game as a service.

Depending on whether Sony counts Horizon’s Call of the Mountain as one of its two big PS5 exclusives for 2023, then it could have another significant title to complement Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 this year. is – if it can follow through on this promise. Years past during the PS5 generation have proven that it can; Horizon Forbidden West, The Last of Us: Part I, and God of War Ragnarok were all hits last year. It was preceded by The Returnal in 2021 and Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart.

The only two other PS5 exclusives announced today are Peter Parker’s second outing, along with Death Stranding 2 and Marvel’s Wolverine. PlayStation Showcase It is expected to reveal a lot about what Sony has planned for the coming years.


Check the latest gaming news here.